The Mulligan’s Mater Sammich Run to benefit the Veterans Memorial 5k has been rescheduled for October 17th. See any of the ALR Officers for more information.
For Post 29 Members and approved guests, live music returns to our Social Quarters. This Friday, September 25th, we’ll have Ray McCafferty’s Trio from 7-10pm. Due to government regulations and social distancing, the dance floor will be closed, but you can still enjoy music, friends, and a beverage.
The 6th Annual Veterans Memorial 5k Race will be Saturday November 14, 2020 from 7AM-10AM on the Square in Marietta, GA.
Greeting from your Legion’s Veterans Memorial 5K Race Committee!
As most of you know we had to postpone this year’s 5k race scheduled for Memorial Day Weekend until Sat. Nov. 14th , 2020 due to the corona virus. We are excited to have this new date because it will be 3 days after Veterans Day of Nov. 11th, so this date gives us an excellent opportunity to honor our veterans and to raise monies for our veterans charities.
I know you will see information in our newsletter and at the post about this event but I wanted to appeal to each of you to find a way to participate and support our 6th Annual Veterans Memorial 5k that will be held on the Marietta square beginning at 7:30 am on Sat. Nov. 14th. This 5k is our largest fund raiser to support our veterans and veterans charities. We have awarded over $325,000 in the past 5 years to these charities and we are looking to raise over $150,000 this year. For those of you who do not remember the charities we support they are: The Shepherd’s Men SHARE Military Initiative at the Shepherds Spinal Hospital, The Georgia National Guard Foundation that is operated by the Georgia National Guard, and our Service Office of the American Legion Post 29. The monies raised from this event goes to do great work in making monies available to help our veterans with financial support and other areas of need.
This year we are having to two opportunities to participate in the 5k – We are having the live race on the square , but we are also having a virtual race ( Run at your own pace race- or phantom runners). Unfortunately this year we have decided not to have the Military Appreciation Celebration after the race.
Please see a list of ways that you can participate in this years 5k!
+ Become a sponsor of the race – recommend a sponsor- brochures are at the post or email me – many sponsorship levels available
+ Become a race participant by becoming a runner, walker or phantom runner – register on line on our website – race flyers at the post
+ Make a $100 donation and receive our famous golf shirts with the race logo – see the bartenders or email me !
+ Recruit a runner , or walker or phantom runner to your friends and business associates -flyers at the post
+ Discounts are available to large groups of 10 or more runners or walkers-
+ Recommend this event to your friends, business associates, school groups , churches and others.
+ Become a volunteer to help with this event
Paper forms are available in the Social Quarters and RIGHT HERE.
This September completes our 100th anniversary of the American Legion and the founding of our Horace Orr Post 29 in Marietta, Georgia. As part of this celebration, it’s our pleasure to announce the 24TH Annual Charity Golf Tournament. SIGN UP TODAY!
24TH ANNUAL CHARITY GOLF TOURNAMENT
SEPTEMBER 14, 2020
DOGWOOD COUNTRY CLUB
Fort Lauderdale format (shot gun start)
Teams and single golfers welcome
Proceeds of this event go to support our first responders and local law enforcement in their children’s programs and holiday events in Marietta, and Cobb County. Post 29 has provided over $220,000 to these worthy programs over the past 23 years.
SIGN UP TODAY!
Click these links for the Tournament Hole Sponsorship and Donation Form and the Golf Entry Form. Entry and payment are also available on our web page, www.post29marietta.org/golf . Direct all questions or inquires to email@example.com .
Walter Cusick Allen M. Rosenfield
Commander Tournament Chairman
Horace Orr Post 29
Hello everyone. We are pleased to provide important updates about our Post. Please read carefully.
The Social Quarters currently has reduced hours of operation. Saturday through Thursday, the SQ is open for one shift, from 11AM-7PM. Fridays we will be open 11AM-10PM. Sundays we are open for one shift, from 12pm-7pm.
As you know, our Post is subject to certain rules and regulations, from the city, county, and the state of Georgia, regarding operations during this COVID pandemic. We will abide by all of these rules, and we will require all members and guests to do the same while on the premises. The rules are too significant to list here, but they are posted in the Social Quarters. We do want to highlight a few significant items:
- Many of our usual activities will be prohibited. No Queen of Hearts or bar bingo will take place initially. We hope to restore these activities soon, and we will update you when they are allowed. In September we will have live music every Friday from 7-10PM. However, there will no dancing until and unless the Governor relaxes the social distancing requirements.
- No outside food or drinks will be allowed. The SQ will have most of our usual offerings, but we will modify how food and drinks are served to ensure we meet all cleanliness guidelines. In addition, the various Post meals (SAL breakfasts, monthly dinners) will not yet return.
- SQ staff will wear masks when near customers, and we encourage all members and guests to wear masks when near others. You may bring your own, and we will have some to distribute as well.
- Bar service will take place in designated areas at the bar. The staff will not provide table service. If you need assistance, let us know. There are restrictions on how many people may sit together (6 max, 6 feet between tables), and there are restrictions related to the bar. All patrons must have a seat. There is no loitering around the bar.
- The post will be open to our members, members of other posts, and guests of our members. Effective September 1st, the requirement to sign the Ledger will be relaxed to only guests and visitors. Also, our maximum capacity is significantly reduced by state regulations. The Junior Vice Commander for the SQ will be responsible for limiting access, should that become necessary to remain within the regulations.
- Whenever possible, we ask that members enter the SQ via the main (key card) entrance and leave via the deck.
Members and guests have been very good about following these guidelines. We appreciate you very much. We are excited to welcome you back to Post 29!
Post 29 Executive Committee